Safe and Secure – Walking Home
40 years ago kids walking to and from their friend’s houses was no big deal. It was part of growing up and for the most part no one got hurt. Unfortunately, times have changed and more precaution has to be taken when walking home.
Street safety rules to go over with you kids
- Use the buddy system.
- Never, ever, ever get in the car with someone you don’t know. If they try to convince you, run away yelling help and go to a public place or a house of someone you know.
- Explain to your kids how some people could say there has been an emergency or that mom/dad sent them.
- Be home before dark. If that doesn’t happen try to stay in the light and visible to cars.
- Go over why not wearing dark clothes is important.
- If you anyone on foot make you feel uncomfortable or is following you. Make noise and run away to a public place or a house of someone you know.
- Clarify what’s considered a public place
- Stay clear of isolated paths or alleys.
- Designate safe routes to walk with your kids.